M. D. Radiotherapy or Doctor of Medicine in Radiotherapy is a three-year post-graduate course in Radiography. Radiotherapy or Radiation therapy is a healing process in which high-energy rays are used to destroy and damage cancer cells in an attempt to retard them from growing and dicing further within the human body. Also known as Radiation Oncologists, radiation therapy specialties treat cancer through radiation where there are no alternative treatments left. Cancers which cannot be removed through surgery are also treated with radiotherapy where the patient gets temporary relief of symptoms. Radiation therapy, however, is of two forms- external beam radiation and internal beam radiation.
Who can opt for MD in Radiotherapy?
A candidate who wants to enroll for a course in M.D. Radiology should have cleared his M.B.B.S degree with a minimum of 55% score marks. He should also be prepared for a post-graduate medical entrance examination conducted at the time of admission by universities/colleges offering this course. It can be opted by those who wish to provide comprehensive cancer care and empower for future research and development. It trains candidates to make proper usage of various forms of radiation so as to safely and securely treat cancer patients and other related diseases. Students opting for this program should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
How is MD in Radiotherapy beneficial?
This course benefits candidates in developing and planning of proper delivery of radiation to the tumor affected area by shielding the surrounding normal tissues as much as possible. It even trains them in reducing the symptoms caused by growing tumors and in improving the quality of life of cancer patients, this care and administering of patients while undergoing radiation therapy is called palliative care or palliation. This program is even beneficial for those willing to go for higher studies like Ph. D and so on. On completion, candidates can opt for a teaching job in medical schools and colleges after having procured relevant degrees like B. Ed and UGC-NET.
FAQ-MD in Radiotherapy
Q: What is MD in Radiotherapy?
Radiation therapy (also called radiotherapy), high-energy rays are used to damage cancer cells and stop them from growing and dividing. A specialist in radiation therapy is called a radiation oncologist or certain types of cancer, radiation is the only treatment needed. Radiation treatment may also be used to provide temporary relief of symptoms or to treat cancers that cannot be removed with surgery.
Q: What is the eligibility for MD in Radiotherapy?
- Candidates should have completed an M.B.B.S. with minimum 55% marks from a recognized university board.
- Some of the very reputed institutes conduct an entrance examination for admission.
Q: Which Top institutes offering MD in Radiotherapy?
- Amrita University Coimbatore
- JIPMER Pondicherry
- PGI Chandigarh
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences Delhi
- Christian Medical College Vellore
- KMC Manipal
Q: What kind Employment area for MD in Radiotherapy?
- Colleges & Universities
- Health Care Centre
- Medical Institutes
- Military Services
- Own Clinics
Q: What types of jobs can MD in Radiotherapy?
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Radiologic Technologist
- Radiologist Assistant
- Ultrasound Technician
- X-Ray Technician
Q: Name such entrance exams held in India for MD in Radiotherapy?
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences Radiotherapy Entrance Exam
- All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination
- Delhi University – The Post Graduate Medical Entrance Test (PGMET)
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh Radiotherapy Entrance
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences Radiotherapy Entrance
Q: Suggest the Coaching Centers for Entrance Exam.
- Global Education (Mumbai)
- Gyan Sagar Classes (Mumbai)
- Ideal Classes (Mumbai)
- IMS Institute (Mumbai)
- Insight (Mumbai)
- TIME (Kerala)
- Brilliant (Kerala)
- Bharadwaj Institute (Chennai)
- Career Launcher (Chennai)
- Abhimanu Las Study Group (Chandigarh)
- Bulls Eye Knowledge System (Chandigarh)
- Blaze IAS Academy (Chandigarh)