About B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Students of Mechanical engineering are amongst the highest paid engineering candidates currently. This is one of the only engineering streams where the demand for skilled professionals will never diminish.
Engineering became a popular choice of study after IIT Roorkee was established in the 1860s. Today, one of the most popular streams, mechanical engineering has been structured into a 4-year long course, which is divided into 8 semesters. The average tuition fee for this course is between 4 to 10 Lakh INR. A semester system of examination is followed in this course with 8 semesters.
In very simple terms, mechanical engineering is the study of machines. This branch helps students learn about the design, operation, and production of different types of machines. Students are prepared to apply these principles to create and maintain novel mechanical systems.
This course allows students to choose from a host of career options including various sectors ranging from the construction, automobiles, steels, and even software.
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering Eligibility
- Students who have completed the higher secondary examination with an aggregate of 50% marks are eligible for this course. For students with reservation there is a 5% relaxation in this aggregate. However, it is necessary for all applicants to have studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics are their core subjects.
How to apply For B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
Students can apply for the common entrance tests such as COMEDK, JEE, BITSAT, SRMJEE and UPSEE for admission into some of the top colleges in the country. This is followed by a counseling session that helps students choose the best college for themselves. Direct admission is possible based on the merit or through management quota in some colleges. In some colleges, group discussion and personal interview may also be included to shortlist candidates.
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering Scope (Job Types)
1) Private Sector Career options after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- Production Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Team Lead – Production
- Design Engineer
- Quality Auditor
- Sales Engineer
2) Private Sector Employment areas after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- Cement Industries
- Oil and Gas Industries
- Construction Companies
- Manufacturing Industries
- Steel Industries
- Power Plants
- Aerospace Industries
- Automobile Industries
3) Public Sector Employment areas after B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- Ministry of Coal
- Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Ministry of Power
- Ministry of Railways
- Ministry of Steel